Child has fever and cough. Given Augmentin. Possible to be viral?

Hi, My son is 3 years old.. He has Fever around 38.4, and coughing very badly.. I had started him with Augmentin Es (which I had at home) this morning. Its his second dose now, he seems to be doing better but i m not sure if its because of the Augmentin Es or because of the ibrufen that I gave him when he had 38.4 fever later today. I took my son to the pediatrician this morning and she said his throat is not red. She thinks its viral. Is it possible to be viral? because he is coughing so badly.. Isn t coughing usually associated with bacterial infection . She had advised me to stop Augmentin Es if he starts getting better tonight. But my feeling said not to because, he had just been diagnosed with Tonsilitis last week and was hospitalized for 2 nights. I m very scared of relapse. what should I do? Should I stop Augmentin Es or not? Or should I let him complete 3 days. He has also been complaining of right leg pain, is there anything to worry about? What should I do?
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012