Child has difficulty passing stool, quit drinking milk

My son is 3, he is not constipated but acts like he has such a hard time passing stool . He hunches over and grunts and groans and only gets a little out at a time. He is autistic so it isn t like he can tell me whats wrong, he is not potty trained either. About a month ago he got diaper rash really bad and seemed to hold it in and ever since then he has had trouble going. He also quit drinking white milk around the same time, just won t drink it anymore. I am at a loss at what to do about it or even if his doctor can help. Thanks
Asked On : Thu, 24 May 2012
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Your son is growing and you need to ensure he is trained enough during each phase of his growth. Firstly you need to know if he is consuming enough water. You can give this in the form of juices, soups, porridges and also sipping plain water throughout the day. Secondly, you need to check if he is consuming enough fibrous foods. Foods like oats, vegetables, fruits, ragi, sprouts, dates etc are rich in fiber and these should be included sufficiently as it aids in proper bowel movement. Ensure he does not eat too much of foods full of refined flour sich as pizza, pasta, noodles etc. Give him cut fruits such as apple, papaya, water melon, oranges etc. Growing chldren also need enough milk. So try giving him the milk in the form of porridge, health drink, custard, ice cream, milk shakes etc. Your care and concern will definitely help him.

Good luck !!!