Child has deep fissures on tongue with white patches. Needs to be checked?

Since my daughter was very little she has been diagnosed with a geographical tongue . She is now 14 and we left the dentist after cleaning and they want me to take her to an oral specialist to eval the entire tongue for deep fissures with white patches . Everything I am reading goes back to geographical tongue ( which her dad has) and basically this is like a freckle or wrinkle and nothing really to do about it. Should this be looked at further and or should I be concerned? I am feeling as if this Dentist is money hungry. Thank you in advance, Sara
Asked On : Mon, 22 Oct 2012