Child has cylindrical power, suggested glasses. Will it help reduce power?

My 5 year old son has been diagnosed for having -0.75 cylindrical power in right eye. His Left eye vision is -1. Doctor has advised to wear glasses regularly. We have got him the glasses today for him. My Question is - 1. If he wears glasses regularly - say for an year or two, will his cylindrical power come down, so that he can remove the glasses ? 2. What exercises and diet do you suggest for curing his cylindrical power ?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Glasses are given for clearer vision. if you don't give him glasses his brain will get used to not seeing & then even glasses cannot help because the brain growth stops after the age of 8.
I cannot guarantee you cure of cylinder but if he uses his glasses regularly he'll see better & have good school performance.
Ocular exercise & green vegetables do help....But glasses have to be worn. please do not look for a reason to discontinue his glasses.
Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health car magic.

Wearing of glasses regularly is important for your kid for a clear vision.

No the power may not come down with regular usage of glasses.

A diet rich in fruits and vegetables is important. Give him plenty of mangoes, papaya, green leafy vegetables etc.

Hope I answered your query.