Child has constipation, occasionally loose with foul smell. Prescribed with besilac. What is its function?

hi Dr. good afternoon. my son , he is 1 yr and 2 month now, is having large tummy for the last 3 weeks. before 3 weeks he had chicken fry (in small quantity). after that his motion is not proper. mean, sometimes it is loose and sometimes its tight/semi loose, with very bad smell. and now he is not taking food properly. last night we consulted a homeo doctor and she given some medicine and today morning the stool(large quantity) is semi loose. and the activity is also less compared to Earlier. and now the problem is we consulted a pediatrician through phone, he suggested a me dine, and spelled like BESILAC... sir, can u tell me, besilac for what?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Hi there,

Besilac is a probiotic and consists of lactobacilli- good bacteria present in the intestine. These, when given, predominate the bad bacteria in the intestine and thereby normalize digestive process. Lactobacilli are the principle component of Yoghurt or Curd, which may be given to the child in liberal quantities.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal