Child has constant cough, fever and runny nose. Taken antibiotics and steroids

Hello please help my 2 1/2yr old son has had a consent cough for nearly 7weeks now along with on and off temps and also a runny nose which is also on and off. The cough sounds horrible and irradiating and does wake him especially while sleeping, but his overall well being is quite normal. In the first 2weeks I assumed it was either a chest infection, broncoltes or the flu . I then put him on a coarse of antibotics which he finished 100% but he still had the majority of symptoms. I then took him to a doctor who prescribed him a 3 day coarse of a steroid , which he also finished and still he remained to have all of his symptoms so we returned to see another doctor who said he s chest was clear and unfortunately it is going around and it could take up to 5 to 6 weeks to clear. In the end of the 4week I returned once again to another doctor, after a couple of temps and still with the same cough, she then dianogised my son with asthma and prescribed him with another steroid to give him for 3days and also ventolin liquid to be given 3 times daily, after the third day on both the steroid and ventolin no change and my son if anything seemed worse as he had two more temps along with the worst 2nights sleep while on the ventolin liquid ( both times on the 3day steroid, the dose was given in the morning as advised by both doctors and pharmacists) I decided to not give him anymore of the ventolin until I got another opion.In the mid of the 5week I then decided enough was enough and got him in to see his doctor that has seen him form birth. I was told then that the dianogise that the previous doctor had given him was incorrect as his chest was clear and although he has a higher chance of having asthma as both his father and I had asthma and broncol asthma as children, he is still too young to be sure 100% as he cant do any type of breathing test. He then said to give it a week or two and see how he goes without any medicine and if No improvement or I get concerned bring him back within a week. I then returned in a few days as still no improvement and the coughing was getting to the stage of him nearly vomiting, we were able to see his doctor and he prescribed a twice a day coarse of antibotics which he has all most completed. He has improved slightly but still especially while sleeping has that same cough. PLEASE Help us as I m not sure what to do and he has never had any illness that I couldn t get rid of, what should my next attempt to get him better be ?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Oct 2012