Child has congestion. Takes bath lying flat on tub with ears in water. Related?

My baby is 5 months old and has been congested for 5 weeks. We have tried changing formula, humidifiers and drops. The doctor said the next step would be antibiotics . She is still happy and eating and I am reluctant to give her medicine at such a young age. I used to bath her using a bath hammock but as of around 6 weeks ago she was too large for it and I started letting her lie flat on the bottom of the tub. Her face is not under the water but her ears are and I was wondering if that could be the cause of the congestion?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Dipping the ears under water should not cause much problem unless the ear drum is perforated. So do not worry about that.

When ever a baby is having cough and cold monitor the following.

1. Breathing rate. This should not be above 50 per minute in this age group.

2. Chest indrawing

3. Nasal flaring

4. Grunting

5. poor feeding

6. Vomiting

If your baby does not have any of the above and continues to be active do not worry.
Just monitor the kid.

Hope this helps.