Child has brown spot on tongue, crankiness, low appetite

My twenty month old child woke up with a brown spot on the side of his tongue . He has no other symptoms except being exceptionally cranky the last couple of days and last night he didn t eat anything because he kept taking it out of his mouth and saying it was yucky (including his favorites of blueberries and french fries).
Asked On : Sun, 3 Feb 2013

May be he had unknowingly bitten his tongue- that has resulted in a small blood collection and pain- due to which he refuses to eat.

Or he might be developing an ulcer on his tongue. If associated with fever it might be due to a virus.

Just give him bland food, fruit juices, soups, milk, curd etc. You may also apply mouth gels like zytee to reduce the pain. He will be okay soon.

How-ever if its really bothering him, he refuses to drink even, develops high grade fever or skin rash, please do not hesitate to see your Doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wish your son good health.