Child has autism. Touches girls' hair. How to handle this?

Hi, I have a Low Functioning Autistic, 12 yr old boy in my mainstream classroom for the first time this year. We have many visual reminders and have 5 main rules that we are working on at the moment. He is obsessed with hair and, specifically 1 or 2 girls hair. One of our rules is that he not touch the girls, and leave them alone when they ask him to. When he becomes overtired and really out of it...he wil blame his behaviour on the fact that the girls hair distracts him. Any advice on how to handle this? Thank you! :)
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Dear user,

I am afraid there is no easy answer to your question. It will have to be persistence from the admins to prevent him from going and touching the hair of the girls in addition to a note to his psychologist to start a behaviour modification program to reduce this "habit".

In the meantime, it may be useful to counsel the girls so that they get a little "tolerant" of him. If, however, the girls refuse to be tolerant, then the only option left will be to remove him from this class and put him in a boys' only school.

- Dr. Taher