Child has Erb's palsy. Less movement in left arm. Done operation. What more can be done?

hello doctor my name is jennifer.i hv 5 yrs old son suffering frm erbs palys he hs been operated but movement in left arm is less his wrist is still fallen he hs been operated n compartively his left arm is smaller to his right arm please can u suggest wat more can be done physio theraphy is still on any more recoveries will be there specially the wrist .
Asked On : Tue, 11 Dec 2012
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello Jennifer,
I guess nerve transfers were done in your son because that is what is done initially. The results of nerve transfers are not immediate and might take up to a year to be clinically manifest and would not equal the non-affected side. It is extremely important therefore that in this interim period you take the help of a physiotherapist so as to achieve proper range of motion of all joints in his affected arm. Depending on the surgery performed, galvanic stimulation to the affected muscles should also continue till there is documented reinnervation of the same.