Child had put cotton bud in ear accidently. Had put some oil in ear, wax came out. Post shower, ear started bleeding. What should I do?

my daughter aged 14 months was accidently putting a cotton buds deep inside the ear she was crying so much and she sleeps . i checked that is listening to me i put little of oil in the ear and then tere waa little wax out.after having shower she was crying so much and there was blood coming out of the ear i got worried shoud i go to the emergency or go to pidiatrisian thanks a lot in advance
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hello and most welcome to HCM,

First of all i want to say that i have went through your description over and over. I must say that your concern is genuine and as a parent, seeking immediate help is most important for caring your child.

Anyway, your daughter put cotton bud accidentally into her ear, now, i want to know if the cotton left inside or came out with it ?? Whatever be your answer, please let me explain both -

* If cotton bud left inside, it has to be removed or else it will cause infection

* If the bud is ok and cotton not left inside, get your child TM (tympanic membrane) checked by a local ENT specialist.

Now, you may ask me .."why" ???????

My answer would be -- because blood is coming out of the ear.. Now, what might cause that blood come out is, either it may be injury to EAM (External acoustic meatus) OR to the TM (may be perforation) as child TM is very prone to injury due to short and typical angulation of EAM compared to adult. If it is TM perforation also, no need to worry as TM heals soon, provided it is kept dry by protecting from water entry during bath and preventing any upper respiratory infection.

OK ...OK..., i think i should stop explaining more on it as you might start worrying to much.

Finally, my straight answer to your question... "shoud i go to the emergency or go to pediatrician"...?

Ans: To NONE of the above.

Please get your child checked straightly from your local ENT specialist and that too as soon as possible. Trust me..that would be the BEST.

With this i sincerely hope that i could at least ease your worry and guide your concern. I wish your daughter a very very early recovery and a very healthy life head.

Take care of yourself so that you can take of her.