Child had high fever, runny nose, calves hurt, used medication, still painful. What could be it?

My 8 year old son had a high fever, runny nose and cough for 4 days. On the 5th day, today, he woke up and was unable to bear any weight on his legs....complaining that his calves hurt terribly (a 10 on a scale of 1-10). Thinking it was dehydration, we had him drink a large bottle of gatorade and eat bananas. We saw no improvement, so after consultation with his pediatrician, we brought him to the ER. They treated him for cramps with a muscle relaxant and pain medication and sent us home....he still cannot walk and we have had to carry him. I think he has been misdiagnosed. Thoughts?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013