Child had ankle injury. Swelling and pain. X-ray shows broken piece. Applied ice. What should we do?

Hi, my daughter hit her ankle 5 weeks ago. I took her to the ER 2 weeks ago as she had pain if something touched it and it is much bigger than her other ankle( swelling ).The X-ray showed that either a little peace broke off from the growth plate or there is an extra growing peace on the growth plate. We put some ice on it and the swelling looks smaller and she has pain if I push it hard. She is very active with sport. How long does it takes for the swelling to go away or what should we do? Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 13 Nov 2012