hello and welcome to HCM,
There are two aspects to your sons treatment.
First his primary treatment:
1. Get an ENT consult to rule out any injury
to the drum and initiate treatment if necessary
2. Start medications and keep the ear clean and dry
About the dog injury related treatment:
1. If you are very sure that the dog scratched the ear only with the nail or paws and did not bite the ear (that is the dogs saliva has no way of coming in contact with your sons wound); then you may wait and watch as the rabies virus
spread only by body secretions such as saliva and a bite is the way of spread.
2. If you are doubtful that the injury may have been caused by bite then you need to consult your pediatrician
who will decide the best course of treatment.
3. In any case make sure you observe the dog for the next two weeks for any signs of rabies like altered mood, excessive salivation
, aggressiveness, and or if he dies without any obvious reason
in either case be more cautious and give an injection TT if not given earlier
Dr Sriram Nathan