Child got hit between eyebrow and lid, got a small knot that increased by the day, eye turned black. Normal?

At our pre-k a 4 year old child fell against a flat wooden door to a piece of furniture at 9:15 a.m.. He hit between his eyebrow and eyelid . There was a small knot but the skin was not broken. We applied an ice pack and watched the child. He said he was ok and never got dizzy or lathargic. He was very playful the rest of the day. The small knot was still there when he left the school at 2:30 p.m. The mother called and said the swelling was bigger than a small knot and the eye was turning black. Is this common for the eye to swell more as the day goes by? Also, was that considered an emergency?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013