Child gets recurring rash on clitoris. What could the cause be?

My boyfriends daughter gets a reoccurring rash on her clitoris. She is only 3 yrs old. He only has her for Sunday and part of Monday each week. Their pediatrician hasn t told them it was an odd place for a rash, but it definitely concerns me. They have been given something to put on it, I m not sure what, but it rarely helps.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013

Thank you for your query.

It shall be better if you can let us know what has been advised to be applied. The urine needs to be checked for:
1. Urine infection
2. Sugar in urine
If the reports are normal then the child needs to be re-evaluated for the problem from all aspects considering the history provided by you.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Pediatrician, Surgery Dr. Anand Sinha's  Response
Thank you for your query
Rash over the clitoris is mostly an infection. It can be fungal or bacterial. I am sure the ointment prescribed by your pediatrician would be covering both. On your part you can observe better hygiene at that place. Apply some oil or powder to reduce some amount of itching. Keep the girls fingernails trimmed. Giving her Sitz bath is also useful. Make her sit in luke warm water for 10-15 minutes, 3-4 times a day. If it is still recurring you should report to your pediatrician again. I am sure she will improve.
Hope that helps.
God bless you