Child fell of the bed, hard lump above the ear, no idea if it was before the fall, functions fine. Can it be serious?

My niece is eight months and fell off a bed one month ago.We did not detect any abnormalities except for a hard lump just above her ear.We thought it would have gone down but it is still there after 1mth. The thing is we are not sure if it was there before the fall,her parents are going to take her for a doctors visit..she is feeding,sleeping,functioning fine and is developing as predicted but the lump concerns us,I would appreciate any advise or you sheading some light on this issue.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Jun 2012

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

I would appreciate if you can provide some more details about this lump.
- The size of the lump
- Is it increasing or reducing in size since it was noticed a month ago
- Is there any skin changes over the lump compared to the normal skin?

As there are no associated symptoms and your niece is comfortable, I do not foresee any serious pathology. It is also unlikely to be related to the fall. It could be a normal protrusion of skull, enlarged lymph node or a developmental cyst. A direct examination of the lump will definitely help in understanding the true nature of this lump.

The bottom line is I do not find any reason to concern. This is most likely a harmless situation which needs no further treatment.

Hope this helps.

Best regards