Child fell and hit left cheek but complaining of right ear pain. Ruptured ear drum for cerebral hematoma?

My 3 year old tripped over the carpet and fell on to our living room coffee table. He hit his left cheek just above the jaw but immediately started complaining that his right ear hurt. He cried for a while and has stopped now. He still says his ear hurts. We gave him ice for his left cheek but he keeps putting it on his ear. Should we be worried about a ruptured ear drum for cerebral hematoma? This happened about 30 minutes ago. His pupils haven t changed, he s not nauseous, and didn t lose consciousness .
Asked On : Sat, 1 Dec 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding ear pain of your child after sustaining injury by hit on left cheek.

Here I would like to tell you most probably your child had got hit on his lower jaw and this is made of mandible ( bone of lower jaw ), Head of mandible makes the anterior wall of ear canal. It is usual that hit on one side always pushed temporomandibular joint of opposite side posteriorly and leads to bleeding from ear .

This is a minor injury and self limiting, usually ear drum and inside of brain remain safe. Your child had no symptoms of intracranial injury so no need for worry.

General & Family Physician Dr. Namala Bharadwaj's  Response
Oct 2013
Hello dear
Thanks for your query
Pain in ear can there after trauma to jaw area.
If your child is complaining of constant ear pain or bleeding from ear you need to consult the doctor .
Any dangerous sign like vomiting , headache , drowsy ness, altered sensorium visit doctor in Er room .