Child ears got hurt on cleaning. Discharge of blood and pus. Something serious?

I was cleaning my daughters (3 yrs old) ears the other day and she flinched and it went to deep. she cried and complained that it hurt. after about 20 mins she no longer complained of it hurting until tonight. I woke her up from her afternoon nap and found her hair crusted to her ear with a little blood . I gently took a q- tip and cleaned just the outer parts of the ear and got a brownish yellow substance (blood and pus I m guessing) I feel horrible what can I do to make her feel better / is something seriously wrong?!
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jun 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
It might shock you to know that the ear doesnt really need any cleaning. If at all there is lot of wax it has to be removed by a ENT specialist and not by you at home. Using a Q tip pushes the wax further and makes the situation worst. There are good chances that the ear will get infected or lead to injuries.If there is a block or pain or if the ear is showing some yellow discharge then I would advise you to visit the nearest ENT specialist. If there isnt any trouble with it then leave them alone it will settle down on its own.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Divya