Child drank few ml of kerosene, coughed and vomited 8-10 times. Is he out of danger ?

hi, unfortunately my child drank few ml of kerosene we had admitted him in near by hospital but as it is a night time they said that they wont start any treatment until the doctor arrives is there any good treatment for it, i feel that now hes out of danger when he drank he coughed a lot and vomited 8 to 10 times but now he slept would suggest me something can we give him some food and drinks
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012
Hi, kerosene is by no means safe and even if your child has vomited, he still needs to kept under observation in hospital for at least 48 hours. The prime reason behind this is that kerosene can cause injury to lungs if aspirated and lead to breathing problems. An XRAY chest should be done to rule out lung involvement.
If your child remains free of symptoms for the next 48 hours, food and drinks can be given. Meanwhile watchout for further episodes of vomitting and breathing difficulties. Ideally the child should be put under prophylactic antibiotics and antacids.
Wishing your child speedy recovery.