Child cries without obvious reason, head hot. Is this serious?

Dear Doctor, I am writing to you regarding my little nephew. He is just 6 months old and for a couple of months we are observing some strange problem with him. He starts crying badly sometimes. Initially we though he might be having fever or some stomach ache. However none of the approach worked and no medicines work. The local doctors suggested that the fever might be approaching the child s head. We then put on his head a piece of cloth dipped in cold water and it gave immediate relief to the child. But we are observing that the child s head is usually hotter than the normal and sometimes its very hot, even when he is fine and not showing any signs of trouble. However he starts crying due to this issue every 15 days. For instance today his head was very hot and all the clothes we put on his head dried immediately. We are very afraid that it might be a serious issue. Kindly throw some light on this and let us know what should we do. Regards, Muneer.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Jun 2012