Child coughing usually during night after eating chocolates, pineapple, food colours, wearing clothes with fabric softener. Reason?

I have a 6 year old globally developmentally delayed child who weighs approximately 40 pounds, 3 feet tall approximately. He coughs usually always evening/night until he throws up. I have noticed it is usually after SOME chocolate, pineapple, food coloring food items, or being around clothes with fabric softener. Doesnt happen every night but when it does its usually back to back for a few days than he is fine for a few week only to return.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

I should compliment you on your observation. It appears that your son is allergic to one of the things that you have listed. This can initiate a cough which persists during the night. Out of the items listed by you only one or at the most two are the culprit. You can challenge him to one of the items every week and observe which is the culprit and avoid it from his enviroment. This shall control his cough.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.