Child complains of sore ear, has swollen ankle, red spots on both legs. What should be done?

Hi my 6 year old girl has been complaining of a sore ear for the past couple of nights (i have administered Calpol for this and it seems to be fine now) however last night she complained of a sore ankle and foot , upon inspection her left ankle was swollen and quite warm. I sent her to bed to rest it (after asking her whether she had knocked it and she replied no) this morning it was still quite swollen but was able to walk on it and the pain was not that bad. this evening she now has red spots on both legs from her knee to ankle where she looks like she has been bitten by mosquitos everywhere! We live in Warwickshire UK (NO MOSQUITOS this time of year!) please can you let me know whether I need to take her to a doctor (dont want to waste their time if it is something simple that we can remedy ourselves!) Thanking you in advance Nicola Gilbert
Asked On : Mon, 24 Dec 2012