Child born with hypoplastic left heart, enlarged liver due to HLHS. Was red spot on ultrasound a missed sign of this?

During an ultrasound a red spot appeared on the screen. The technician said it was probably nothing and might be a hernia . The baby was born with a hypoplastic left heart (no other defects except an enlarged liver as a result of HLHS ) and the mother feels the red spot on the screen may have been a missed sign. I am a medical student wondering what the red spot might have been. Any answers would be much appreciated, I haven t learnt about ultrasounds yet.
Asked On : Thu, 12 Jul 2012