Child accidentally chewed a battery cell. When will the effects show?

My 4 year old may have chewed thru a cheap aaa battery. Didn t happen today, not really sure when. Found it in our back seat of car. The battery was broken into pieces. She did have fever a few days ago after she got her 4 year old shots. She was put on antibiotics and hasn t had fever in a couple of days. Do you think she would have symptoms by now if she did swallow any acid? Thanks. Armand
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Ingestion and swallowing of batteries and battery material is dangerous as the material inside is acid and chemicals which lead to burns in oral cavity and in the esophagus and lead to strictures.
The small round batteries due to accidental ingestion lead to damage to esophagus, stomach and gut due to its electrical activity and caustic action.
So consult your Pediatrician for the examination of oral cavity to look for any ulcers and signs of acid ingestion.
In the future also be careful with batteries and foreignbody ingestions.
Hope I have answered your query.