Chest pain and stressed. Coughed phlegm. Can there be lump sticking out of chest? What to do?

Dear Doctor, I have some chest pains and I am very stressed with worry over it. My symptoms are pain in my upper left chest area and a slight pain on my upper right area, I have been suffering like this for about 4 months and it is getting very bad. I was cycling the other day and I coughed up a ball of phlegm , it was white in colour with darker bits, I actually looked at it as I know colour is important. After I coughed it up I had to cycle up a hill, half way up I would have a quite intense pain with every breath in my upper left chest directly. Also I am extremely worried about some lumps or bones that seem to be sticking out of my middle of my chest and the left side is very tense and smaller than the right side. I am known to be anxious and slightly hypochondriacal sometimes, that is why I have dismissed these symptoms. I smoke a lot too, I am cutting down quite severely for the past 3 days. I will quit - 100%. I have been for a xray today at the hospital. I feel extremely stressed about this, I am having panic attacks and I am feeling pain wherever I focus my mind , I m really mixed up, I have to start a new job tomorrow and I am in turmoil. Regards Carl
Asked On : Fri, 20 Apr 2012