Chest heaviness, coughing, fluid buildup in airway after using spray paint without mask. Permanent damage?

A week ago, I painted the outside of the house. I used a sprayer, thinning out water based Latex paint and sprayed it without a mask. That night, my chest felt heavy and I began coughing. It s not too bad, but a week later, I m still coughing a bit from a slight irritation in my chest area. When I breath deeply I can feel a slight build up of fluid in my airway. I m being told by some that have done this to expect another two or three weeks of this and it will clear up. Is that true? Have I done permanant damage? Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Thu, 15 Nov 2012