Chest congestion, cough with thick mucus and phlegm. Using warm compress, vicks. Treatment?

mY 91 year old dad is on antibiotics for chest congestion. No fever. He has very thick mucous and it is hard to cough up. Even though the color has lightened, it is miserable for him to cough up the phlym,especially in the morning. I have a humidifier going, put a warm compress and vicks on his chest and sprayed saline into his nose (this seemed to help a bit). I am considering letting him sleep in his recliner tonite so he can be more upright. Can you offer any other suggestions.
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012