Changing the gauze after circumcision pains, lumps infront of the cut. Is it normal ?

My son got circumsized 3 days ago (wednesdsay) he s 5 the first 2 days he was sore but only complained about pain when I changed the gauze today he s been saying it hurts really bad and right infront of the cut line are big lumps and they look painful it looks like his skin is bulging out is it normal or should I take him back to the doctor?
Asked On : Wed, 21 Nov 2012
Dear Concerned.,

There is minor inflammation on the cut portion of the Foreskin.Not to worry at all.

Sterile saline Irrigation to the area :While removing the gauze you should have taken a bottle of saline ,punctured the upper portion of the saline bottle and squeezed the bottle to get a jet of saline.This jet has to be directed on the gauze and slowly the wet gauze should be removed with asceptic precautions so that you will not infect the sterile surgical wound.

This type of irrigation not only cools the area and reduces pain but also loosens the attached gauze to the cut foreskin and prevents any fresh cuts and oozing of blood and tissue fluid from appearing.

Thereafter you can apply Povidone Iodine Dressing to the area.

In addition you may continue Antibiotics/Anti-inflammatory/Vitamins etc as prescribed by your MD.

If the lumps are really big and very painful, they could be haematomas which have occured post surgery.You may take him back to Surgeon who will take up further course of action.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.,

Best regards.,

Dr Lt Cdr ASN Bhushan,