Changing positions of the fetus in early pregnancy. Chances of twins?

I have had an ultrasound at 13 weeks baby was jumping all over the place was on the left side the on the right . I wen to the midwife and she says at 16 weeks that I am measuring 20 weeks. I have been sick ++ and been in hospital for a day due to being so sick i was dehydrated. This is my first pregnancy. Midwife said are you sure it is oly one. Could i be pregnant with twins even though at my scan the baby was jumping about all over the place could there have been one hiding.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
At 13 weeks gestation, ultrasound cannot miss twin pregnancy.There is no such space in uterus where other baby can hide.Yes it is possible that pregnancy of 16 weeks duration appears to be of 20 weeks on clinical examination by fundal hight.There are few reasons for that.First being the excessive liqour (fluid layer surrounding the fetus).The second reason could be fast growth of fetus,which can be normal or pathological due to variuos reason.I would suggest you to repeat ultrasound to rule out or confirm twin pregnancy (chances of which are less).
Hope this answers your question.