Changed from Ovaranette to Loestrin. Will it be effective even after taking a break?

Hello i have been on ovaranette contraceptive pill and recently just asked to change. The doctor has given me Loestrin 30 to take, however she told me to not have a 7 day break and to take the new loestrin 30 straight away. I forgot about this and had my 7 day break and then started taking my new Loestrin 30 as i would have taken my old pill. Will this be effective? How long do i have to used alternative contraceptive for or will i be protected straight away? The leaflet in the box says to have taken it on the first day of your period but i didn t.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012