Chalazion on lid eye, prescribed topical. Doing hot compresses and massage, turned red. Healing time?

about 4 weeks ago, I got chalazion on the upper lid of one eye. when it happened I was overseas, and went to a local doctor, which proscribed topical ointment. It did not help. I went to an ophthalmologist here, in US a week ago, and she confirmed chalazion. I have been doing hot compresses and massage for a week now. it does not grow but looks red now. what are chances that it is gonna pop? how long is normal wait? I would only consider surgery if absolutely no response, but I am not sure how long to wait... ?
Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013