Cervix didn't seem open while on MVA. Given after heavy bleeding and miscarriage

Hi docters I m a 21 year old female I ve been bleeding for 7 weeks til today I went to hospital found out I am pregnant but miscarried they offered me MVA today and they never finish it because they said my cervix seems to be not yet opened so they check me again tomorow by sonar I decided to discharge my self without they are permission so I really need your help on what to do please help
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

It is indeed unfortunate that this has happened.

Sometimes the cervix gets closed after an incomplete abortion and a few bits left inside continue to bleed from the narrow cervix. In this case, an MVA or a check curettage procedure is very helpful.

Sometimes cervix is closed tight and does not open easily so the MVA instrument cannot be introduced inside. This may also happen when the abortion is complete. Hence they want to do a sonar to see if the process has been completed already.

I suggest that if the bleeding is still there, get a sonar done. If there are bits inside a check curettage or MVA may be done after using vaginal misoprostol tablets to open the cervix. It becomes easier to dilate it after misoprostol administration. If the bits remain inside they may cause prolonged bleeding and also an infection. So please have a sonar done. If there are no bits, there is no need for a procedure and you may come home.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist