Cartilage pierced. What could be the dark red bump near piercing hole?

I ve had my cartilage pierced for about a year now and I switched earrings and I went from a smaller post to a bigger one. It started to annoy me but I thought it was because of the bigger size. I took the bigger earring out and replaced it with the smaller one, a couple days later a dark red bump developed next to where my piercing hole is. I took out my earring and there doesn t seem to be anything on the back side of my ear, but I know this isn t normal..
Asked On : Thu, 19 Apr 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi welcome to health care magic forum,

Ear piercing after a year is least likely to get infected.

Forceful replacing smaller one with bigger one may get an extra pierce and got infected or it could be the bigger one had an allergic reaction.

If the dark red bump is painful and discharging ,it could be an infection.

But if it is itching than it could be allergic reaction.

I would suggest you just take out the earring and apply a local ointment .

If no relief than see an ENT specialist for a clinical examination.