Carpel tunnel, surgery done, stitches present, pain on pressing. Okay to trim stitches?

HI DR., I have 5 stitches in my left hand from Carpal tunnel release surgery 8 days ago. It is healing very well and I have gotten back much of the feeling I lost, doing exercises but the stitches are a bit long and when I acidently hit one of the strands it hurts bad. Can I trim them just a bit so this stops happening? I would never take them out, just make it so I don t keep getting jabbed and that causes pain.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012