Car accident, not awakened, moving lips and eyes sometimes. Possible to recover?

I have a friend that was in car accident. His sister told me to look up DAI ( Diffuse Axonal Injury ). I don t know what grade he has. What I do know is that they have trached him for better breathing . he has oxygen hooked to him but is breathing 100% on his own- room air. He moves his hand and entire arm , but not on command....I can ask him if he will squeeze my hand and no repsonse. It has been one week and he has not awaken. He moves his eyes and lips sometimes. when they remove the suction he will move his head and mouth as like he doesn t like you know he is sensing something. Question: Is it possible for him to awake and recover to close to normal or the fact that he has not awoken in a week pretty much says he will have implications.....the family is prepared. I have watched youtube survivor stories and they give much hope but many survive and are not normal......I am trying to prepare my self with reality....thank you for your time.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Oct 2012