Can we usd Ciprofloxacin + Tinidazole during lactation ?

Can we usd Ciprofloxacin + Tinidazole during lactation (during breastfeeding to infants)
Asked On : Mon, 13 Feb 2012
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic forum.
Both ciprofloxacin and tinidazole are not preferred antibiotics for lactating females.Though depending on the risk benefit ratio it sometimes needs to be prescribed for controlling the susceptible infection in the mother even if theoretically it does carry a risk of adverse effects on bones, muscles and tendons of infants and young children.
Ciprofloxacin is excreted in human milk. The amount of Ciprofloxacin absorbed by the nursing infant is unknown. Because of the potential for serious adverse reactions in infants nursing from mothers taking Ciprofloxacin, a decision should be made whether to discontinue nursing or to discontinue the drug, taking into account the importance of the drug to the mother.
As you haven't mentioned the indication for such prescription, I would advise you to discuss it with your doctor and if feasible ask for an alternative drug.
Hope I have answered your query.