Can tonsils be caancerous ? How do I know that they were infectious ?

hi there, 2 days ago i had my tonsils out, mainly because one looked larger than the other for no reason, no pain no nothing just occasional throat ache and ear ache. ENT said if it looked suspecious he would send a sample, however after the op, told me he didnt see a need, when he pulled them out they were the same size but both looked infected. So because he was concerned a little with it being cancer , does this mean he is no longer concerned about it being cancer? if they were just infected and they are the same size no abnormality to them? can a tonsil be infected and not hurt as such? also its not that bad as an adult im 24, and im managing quite well with the pain :) thank you, chloee
Asked On : Wed, 2 Feb 2011