Can teeth fall asleep similar to foot or hand? Why did my teeth get numb?

Do teeth fall asleep ? Everyone has had a foot or an arm fall asleep at one time or another. I mostly understand the physiology of this dynamic. However, I swear that this has happened to my dentition twice in the last few weeks. On both occasions, it has happened before I fell asleep while I was listening to music in bed while waiting to dose off. I have ruled out bruxism and occlusal trauma. My jawbone was in a relaxed position, slightly open, with my tongue buffering both the mandibular and maxillary dentition. After being focused on the music for 15-30 minutes, I noticed a slight numbness or softness in my teeth (especially the molars and premolars) in all four quandrants. When I gently closed my teeth, jaw I noticed a diminished tactile sensation. It was a milder sensation that a foot falling asleep. There was no accompanying stinging sensation. Also, there was no mobility of any teeth. I finally regained normal feeling, sensation within about 10-15 minutes. I have no known health issues. I am somewhat overweight (190 lbs./5ft.8in.) with normal blood glucose levels. 38-year-old caucasian male.
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012