Can syp citralka help to break renal stones?

I hv renal stones, whether syp citralka has any role in breaking the stones
Asked On : Sun, 30 Jan 2011
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
There is basically a stone that breaks renal calculus and this is Hizrul yahood. It's bhasam is made in mooli which a potent diuretic to flush out small particle those are broken by this medicine. This is time tested medicine without side effects. Have lot of water and tab. sheet prabha 2 bd it will cure your calculus. as far as citralka is concerned it is alkaliser and reduces burning micturation.
Urologist Dr. Pramod B Ramamurthy's  Response
The management of the renal stones depends upon the size, number, site of the stones and other factors like associated infection, obstruction ( which would have been showed on urine tests and ultrasound if it were there) .
Syrup Citralka is an agent which alkalinises the urine.
Some of the stones tend to form in acidic urine in which the syrup helps in preventing the stone growing in size. However it doesn't dissolve or break the stone.