Can redness around eyes or lips indicate any allergy ?

both the area around my baby's lips and her eyes turned red after she tried a little yogurt Hi, I have a 13.5-month baby girl. She couldn t take any type of formula since she was born. We have to wait until recent to give her some baby yogurt to try. I only gave her very little yesterday and saw the area around her mouth turned red right away. So I stopped feeding her yogurt, the symptom went away pretty fast. Then today we fed her three spoons of yogurt because we thought maybe it is ok for her. However, this time, both the area around her lips and her eyes turned red. We had to stop again. Now, our question is how serious this could be? Could this be the sign of allergy to milk or anything else? What should we do next? Thank you! We really appreciate any advice from the person who has experience with it!
Asked On : Wed, 27 Jul 2011
Thanks for posting your query,
This may be due to yogurt allergy only or allergy to certain milk which yogurt is made of( if she is allergic of cheese and other milk products as well)

the severity depends on presence of one or more of these allergic symptoms:
One suffers from hives.
Skin rashes.
Skin becomes red.
Abdominal pains.
Difficulty in breathing.
Symptomatic of anaphylaxis, which is a life-threatening condition

you should do the following to avoid this allergy:
avoid milk and milk products.
be careful while taking food outside.ensure that the food items do not contain any yogurt.
Read the label to ensure there is no yogurt in the product.
give her soy milk or soy milk products

and it would be better to council an allergist if the case is not improved

wish you good health

General & Family Physician Dr. Sumanth.P's  Response

Yes it would be due to allergy to yogurt.

You can feed the baby with other feeds like well boiled dhal and semi solid foods like well cooked rice which is minced well.

If your baby is reluctant to any feeds, I suggest you to consult a pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query.