Can migraines and high blood pressure be some how related?

Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Yes and it's something to take very serious. When my hypertension was out of control, I would get realllly bad migraines. I remember once when I had a hypertensive crisis...I went to the ER and spend the night there....until they could get my blood pressure down. I had a migraine from out of this world. I can always tell when my blood pressure is high, the hypertension headache starts.... It's important to get on medication as soon as possible. Hypertension is serious business. Left untreated, a person can suffer a stroke, heart attack, and/or kidney failure. A lot of my kidney patients had hypertension before their kidney transplant. To them, their blood pressure wasn't a big deal... Go see your doctor....start taking your blood pressure every day even after you're on medication....Take good care of your body and your body will take good care of you. Best wishes. >>> I just read someone's resonse that drinking will make your headache pain better....true...because alcohol is a blood thinner and it will take SOME pressure off your throbbing blood vessels, but if you have hypertension, it will make the hypertension WORSE. Be careful where you get advice from. This is not a guessing game. Talk to your doctor and get this resolved. <<< Best wishes.
General & Family Physician Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware's  Response
Hello nikita;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Headache is one of the commonest symptom of hypertension.Unexplained headache is a problem that guides us to find that the person is hypertensive .So even if you have hypertension your migraine attacks will be triggered and can be more severe.So there is surely a relation between hypertension and migraine.