Can metformin cause cramps in the calf muscles and back upper thighs in the night?

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January, 2012. I am 54 and never had medical issues until that time. I take 20 units of Levemir nightly, 5 mg of Amlodipine (sp?- generic of Norvasc) in the morning, and metFormin in the morning and at night with meals. I had stopped the metFormin a year ago due to some stomach issues that have been resolved and started the metFormin again in November. Since that time I am experiencing severe leg cramps in my calves and back upper thighs. I don't experience the cramps during the day. Any ideas? I have a Dr. appt on the 31st of this month.
Asked On : Wed, 15 Jan 2014