Can medullary sponge kidney be cure through medication ?

Dear Sir My wife age 37 has detected Medullary sponge kidney in her right kidney in her ultrasound is it a rare disease will it be cure by medicines pls send answers at my mail
Asked On : Fri, 12 Aug 2011
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query

I cant really say if its a rare disease because its prevelance varies with origin. Most of the time its benign and does no harm and is only an incidental finding but people with MSK have increased risk of kidney stones so one has to keep in mind about kidney stones and their complications
Have a healthy living
Anesthesiologist Dr. Ranjitha S C's  Response
Hi welcome to HCM.
Medullary sponge kidney (MSK) is a benign congenital disorder characterized by dilatation of collecting tubules in one or more renal papillae, affecting one or both kidneys. Medullary sponge kidney is usually a benign condition, and patients can remain asymptomatic.
Among the most frequent complications are renal stone disease and urinary tract infection (UTI), but progression to renal failure is very rare.
The clinical course of medullary sponge kidney is usually benign. Very rarely, patients may develop renal failure as a result of repeated pyelonephritis or urinary tract obstruction.This condition is commonly diagnosed during the second or third decade of life.
there is a possibility of renal calculi and urinary tract infections (UTIs) due to medullary sponge kidney.Obtaining periodic urinalysis and abdominal radiographs is recommended,
since yours is asymptomatic disease,no medicinal treatment is necessary,try to avoid UTI and calculi formation by drinking lots of water,minimum of 3 to 4L,avoid high protein diet and avoid high calcium content foods ok.
thanks for using HCM FORUM.