Can lifting a heavy person cause acceleration of heart attack?

at work I and a nurse was lifting a resident from the toilet to his wheel chair, the nurse hand slipped and I took all of his weight and lifted him back in in wheelchair, doing so I felf I thought was a pulled muscle, but 2 day latter I was diagnosed with a heart attack , could this have caused an acceleration of the heart attack by lifting him 150lbs
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi there,

Well the answer is a qualified Yes. Exertion, lifting weight, doing strenuous exercise can all precipitate a heart attack.

There are 5 different types of heart attacks.

1- Due to coronary artery disease.
2- Due to increased demand or decreased supply (as in case of heavy exercise, anemia, thyrotoxicosis, vasospasm, embolism, hypertension etc)
3- Sudden Cardiac Death.
4a- Associated with Percutaneous intervention (PCI).
4b- Stent thrombosis.
5- Associated with Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG).

If you were diagnosed with a heart attack (with an ECG and Troponin positive) Your condition fits in the 2nd type of heart attack (secondary to ischemia).

Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any queries.

Cardiologist Dr. Vinod Kumar's  Response
hi, lifting heavy weight does not cause heart attack in normal persons , but if you already having CAD or risk factors , strees and exertion can cause heart attack. For you it may be coincidental that after lifting weight getting heart attack.

Nephrologist Dr. George Muthalakuzhy's  Response
Thank you for using Healthcare magic.

Strenuous physical activity and exertion can precipitate a heart attack in a patient with risk factors and pre-existing coronary artery disease. Lifting the patient, riding a bicycle, moving furniture etc...any strenuous activity could have been the precipitant.

Take care and be well