Can i take creatine as a supplement ?

hi i am a 17 year old high school football player interested in starting to supplement my workouts with creatine. i wanted medical advice on this
Asked On : Tue, 11 Jan 2011
Thanks for your question.

Yes you can start creatine supplement.
About creatine supplements; usually there is two phase
-loading phase where the requirements is 20-25 gms per days for 5-7 days
followed by maintenance phase in which the requirements is 3-5 gms per day.
Before taking it you should have to check your initial body creatine levels.

Best wishes.
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
You want to start creatine supplements to increase your muscle mass.It is best when used along with protein supplements. I would advise you to get your liver and renal function tests done routinely to rule out any problem before starting on any such supplements.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal