Can i take 2500 mg of Metformin for long in diabetic and is there any side effect of this ?

I am a diabetic since 12 years. Now I am taking Janumet 50/1000 morning one and in night one, Trigulin 1 mg morning one. I have been taking the medicines more than 2 years. My last HbA1c 6.8, before this it was 5.6, FBS 109 mg. 1.My first question is can I take the above medicines for long. Because by taking the medicines I consume 2500 mg of Metformin. I have read too much of Metformin may cause Lactic Acidosis which is a dangerous disease. 2. What benefit could I get by taking the medicines as Januvia instead of so many other normal and less costly drugs e.g. Pioglitazone, Glimepride etc. Pl advise. My email id arijitvsp@gmail.com. (Arijit Chakravarty) INDIA/Kolkata Cell No +919831178935
Asked On : Thu, 31 Mar 2011