Can i stop taking losartan potassium cold turkey?

can i stop taking losartan potassium cold turkey? been taking for 12 days 50 mg tablet at night
Asked On : Sun, 3 Apr 2011
Treatment/Therapy
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
I advise you not to stop the medication.
the antihypertensive medicines should not be stopped abruptly as there can withdrawal rise of BP.
I advise you to visit your Physician and get your BP checked to assess whether this drug and dosage are adequate for you.
Hope this information is useful to you and others.
General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Babu M's  Response
Hi welcome to HealthcareMagic

Losartan is an antiotensin receptor antagonist, Used as anti Hypertensive... suddenly you cannot stop the medicine, it will lead to sudden increase in BP leading to complications like stroke, Renal failure, MI(myocardial infarction).... also you need to monitor the BP regularly, find out whether it is within the normal range... only after that, the dose can be tapered but cannot be completely stopped...Hope I have answered your question...

Takecare...

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.