Can i conceive at the age of 40 ?

iam 40 at this stage can is pregnancy safe. I hve regular periods and nomedical problems
Asked On : Wed, 19 Jan 2011
Hi

I will try my best to answer your query.

It wiil be a high risk pregnancy. The most obvious is the increase in risk of chromosome problems like Down syndrome. At your age, the risk of a chromosome problem is 1 in 42. With a normal level two ultrasound, the risk is reduced by half, to about 1 in 80. Other risks depend on your health.
Regular ANC is must. Before conceiving I advice you to consult OBG specialist near your place.

Hope my answer will be helpful for you.

General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.Yes you can get pregnant but it will not only be difficult but may also be risky.At this age ovarian reserve reduces drastically and also many congenital defects may occur.If you are ready to face all the music but still want a child then go ahead and be always under the supervision of a good obstetrician.Thanks and good luck.
General & Family Physician Dr. Syed's  Response
Hello
Welcome to HealthcareMagic
Getting pregnant after age 35 yr is considered to be a high risk Pregnancy. There are chances of more congenital defects in fetus, chromosomal anomallies as Down's syndrome. There is also risk to the mother. Hence the pregnancy to be strictly monitored by the Skilled Obstetritian thro regular usg and other diagnostic procedures.
Have a Healthful Day