Can gap between food pipe and stomach be resolved with medicines alone ?

My daughter is 24 days old born on 6th July 2011. Her weight is 3kg 250 gms.She is suffering from acidity problems since one week. Doctor said she is having a gap between foodpipe and stomach. She has been given medicine for one week and has been asked to raise her head to 20 degrees while sleeping. Kindly advise if this can be cured without surgery however doctor has not mentioned anything about surgery.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jul 2011
It appear to be a case of reflex esophagitis due to cardiac sphincter abnormality of stomach .So consult pediatric surgeon. .
‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases Dr. Hema Yadav's  Response
A gap between foodpipe n stomach wud suggest a stricture or fistula which is causing acid reflux.ideally a milk scan(barium scan ) has to b done to check out severity of reflux.depending on that reflux is graded n decision for surgery is taken.however mild reflux in newborn may be treated conservatively for time being since they may improve over time.
So kindly consult ur pediatric surgeon for knowing the above details for ur baby.